Do you ever struggle with setting boundaries or saying no?
Let’s talk about what to do when people ask you for things that you don’t want to do or you don’t have time to do. How do you handle the influx of requests in your inbox, or the deluge of “pick your brain” requests from family and friends?
Boundaries are something I could talk about for so long, but the first thing I want to do is share my favorite phrase that works everywhere. I’ve got a script that you can use to say no to requests for your time, energy, or attention. Whether it’s family members, business owners, friends, colleagues, or any other unsolicited requests for your time, these magic words will help get you out of almost every situation.
Today’s episode is just about ten minutes long, and it’s all about the two key phrases that you can use to say no. Because it’s important to learn how to say no.
The Startup Pregnant Podcast Episode #142
IN THIS EPISODE:
- Everyone has too many requests for their time—more than the ability to say yes, so learning how to say no is a skill that we all need to practice.
- Why we make excuses and how that comes back to bite us, when instead we should just say no in the first place.
- My favorite phrase EVER and why it helps in so many different situations—aka, how to say no simply and easily (and no one can refute you). You’re going to want to write this one down…
SOME QUOTES FOR THE EPISODE
- Every one of us probably has more requests for our time than things we could actually do.
- It’s okay to say no because you just don’t want to.
- Sometimes I think I need to learn the art of saying no from my three year old. He’s such a badass about being expressly clear about what he does—and doesn’t—want to do.
- You are allowed to want what you want and you are allowed to say no.
- It’s okay to be disliked—you don’t have to please people, and saying yes doesn’t necessarily mean people will like you better. Be honest and say no when you need to.
EPISODE SPONSOR — NANIT, THE ONLY BABY MONITOR YOU NEED
Baby sleep can be so hard. The Nanit Plus Smart Baby Monitor tracks your baby’s breathing, and has special sleepwear so that you can see that they are safe and know that they are breathing throughout their sleep. If you’ve ever been stressed out overnight or worried about your baby sleeping, this can put your mind at ease, this is a baby monitor that can help you adjust to your new sleep life once you bring that kiddo home. They also provide sleep coaching, training, and a baby monitor all in one. Visit Nanit.com today to learn more about this amazing baby monitor, why people are raving about it, and how it can help you and your little one have a better night’s rest. Startup Pregnant listeners can use code STARTUP at nanit.com to save 10%.
FIRESIDE CHATS WITH SARAH—EXCLUSIVELY FOR PATREON BACKERS
If you’re a fan of this podcast, you’ll love the private, ask-me-anything fireside chat with Sarah. For Patreon supporters only, get access to a new podcast episode every month AND the chance to ask Sarah any question you want about life, business, and parenting. She will honor everything honestly. Patreon supporters who become sponsors at $7 a month get exclusive access to these episodes that aren’t published anywhere else. Head to www.patreon.com/startuppregnant to become a back and get immediate access to the episodes.
THE STARTUP PREGNANT PODCAST & HOST
Sign up for the Weekly Startup Pregnant Newsletter with insights, strategies, and new ideas for working parents. Follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. Want to sponsor the podcast? We’ve got great sponsors and only one shout-out per episode. We don’t shove tons of ads into our podcast. We only work with awesome.
Still here? Definitely leave us a review on iTunes. It’s really helpful for the show!