Differences Of Opinion
Put two people in a room together for any length of time, and you’re going to encounter differences of opinion. Engage in any partnership—business, personal or parent-child—and differing experiences will eventually manifest a misalignment of wants and needs.
My husband and I encountered one such misalignment around checking in via text message during the workday: I’m a fan. It doesn’t cross his mind. Neither of us is right or wrong, here. We’re just different. The question becomes, is there a creative way to make us both happy?
Today, I’m sharing this case study in differences of opinion, describing the brilliant solution my husband conceived to address both our needs. I also discuss the value of getting clear on what you want and owning it rather than apologizing for it. Listen in for my five tenets of problem-solving and learn how to find creative solutions that provide the most happiness and satisfaction for everyone involved.
The Startup Pregnant Podcast Episode #058
Some quotes from the episode
- “Anytime you put two or more humans into a space together, you can guarantee that there will be differences of opinion.”
- “The first thing [my husband and I] had to do was just realize that our experiences were different and our wants and needs were different. And that there wasn’t a right or a wrong, this just is what is.
- “Something I love doing … is getting really clear on what it is that you want and what makes you happy and sharing it—and not judging yourself for it.”
- “What is the thing that we can do to make everyone the most happy in this situation?”
- “Needs and wants are REAL.”
- “Each person is allowed to feel what they feel no matter how strange, no matter how quirky.”
- “One person is not more or less right than the other.”
- “Are there creative solutions to this problem that we’re not yet thinking of?”
THE STARTUP PREGNANT PODCAST & HOST
- Startup Pregnant
- Startup Pregnant on Facebook
- Startup Pregnant on Instagram
- Startup Pregnant on Twitter
- Sponsor the Podcast
- Email email@example.com
EPISODE SPONSOR & SPECIAL OFFER
Community makes all the difference. So, at Startup Pregnant, we are launching a mastermind program for women who are interested in going deeper around questions about parenting, motherhood and business. To learn more and apply for the beta version starting in June, go to https://startupparent.com/mastermind.
All of our sponsor offers are available on our website for you to grab the perks and discounts offered to podcast listeners: https://startupparent.com/sponsors.